Feats of Athleticism
By Thilo Graf
This pdf from Abandoned Arts is 3 pages long, 1 page front cover, 1 page editorial, leaving us with 1 page of content for 8 new feats, so let’s take a look!
- Athletic Throw: At the end of a charge, throw weapons for increased power as if charging. Cool idea!
- Chase Runner:+2 to initiative and ability checks, attack rolls, saves and skill-checks in chases – awesome for the tracker/dogged cop and if your campaign is like mine and has a couple of chases thrown in.
- Competitive Spirit: +1 to all opposed ability checks, atk rolls and skill-checks, bonus scaling to +2 at 10th level. Okay, but not too exciting.
- Deep Dive: Combine your leaping dive with an underwater charge and achieve a length of immersion that does not count towards your movement – especially great for campaigns à la Cerulean Seas or nautical campaigns.
- Mountaineer: Create handholds and footholds in 1/2 the time, +5 to catch yourself or other characters.
- Quick Catch: Deflect up to two arrows per round, essentially improved deflect arrows. Synergy with snatch arrows.
- Ridge Racer: Now we’re talking! Move at full speed on ledges, +2 to keeping balance AND for +10 to the DC, keep your dex-mod to AC, but only when not encumbered by medium+ loads/armours. Two thumbs up!
- Swift Leap: Also works only when not too encumbered: +2 to acrobatics as well as make running jumps with only 5-foot movement, allowing you to set the up via 5-foot steps. Interesting idea to expand movement options.
Editing and formatting are top-notch, I didn’t notice any glitches. Layout adheres to Abandoned Art’s no-frills -column standard and the pdf has no bookmarks, but needs none at this length. I’ll make this short and sweet: The feats contained herein serve specific niches and work well within the context of their intention and should be considered well-crafted. While some (Competitive Spirit) feel slightly bland, they do serve their niche and since I really liked 3 of them and due to the low price and lack of gripes, I’ll settle for a final verdict of 4.5 stars, rounded up to 5 for the purpose of this platform.
Feats of Athleticism is available from: