By Thilo Graf
All right, you know the deal: 3 pages content, one page front cover, 1 page editorial/SRD, 1 page content, let’s check these out!
I’m not a friend of too many magic items flooding my campaign world and thus I really welcome the option to add weapon qualities that don’t need to be magic, so what do we get here?
- Back Spike: A weapon with this enhancement gets an additional spike and can then do either its normal damage or the same amount as piercing damage.
- Basket Hilt: These enhance your CMD and additionally your AC if you choose the total defense action, but make a weapon a lousy option to throw at foes.
- Flamberge: When using the dueling rules from UC, a Flamberge-wielder may hit a foe with an AoO when rolling a natural 20 on a parry-attempt.
- Parry Hooks: Now I feel somewhat insulted. These do EXACTLY THE SAME as a flamberge, but don’t stack with it. Yes, you read right – they are essentially nothing short of a reskin of the flamberge-quality. This should be a footnote in the former’s entry, but it is NOT another weapon quality. And yes, it says so in the publisher’s blurb. But it still reads “6 qualities” where we get only 5.
- Ringed: These weapons add rings to make them hit harder: -1 atk, +2 damage. VERY cool!
- Springy: +2 to CMD for -2 to CMB and 1 harness less due to flexibility.
Editing and formatting are top-notch, I didn’t notice any glitches. Layout adheres to SGG’s 3-column standard and the pdf has no bookmarks, but needs none at this length. I feel honestly insulted by the false advertisement of this pdf. Yes, it’s Super Genius Games. Yes, the content is top-notch and the qualities per se are awesome. And yes, the price is low. Can’t I look past the lazily reskinned quality?
No. And I don’t want to. This is simply false advertisement, providing essentially only 5 different qualities, not 6, depriving us of one sixth of the promised content of the title. If this pdf was even a tad bit more expensive or had any other flaw whatsoever, I’d rate it 1 star for this. Instead, I’ll settle for a verdict that will reflect my utter disappointment at this business practice that I hope SGG will not continue but still take into account the great quality of the other content – 3 stars. If this pdf is renamed “5 Non-magic Qualities for Weapons” or a new one added/Parry Hooks revised, I’d happily revise my review.
With a Bullet Point: 6 Nonmagic Special Qualities for Weapons is available from: