By Thilo Graf
All right, you know the drill by now: 4 pages, no frills, 1 page front cover, 1 page editorial/SRD, 2 pages of content for 5 feats that harness the power of hellfire (as pioneered in SGG’s excellent genius Guide to Hellfire Magic), so what do they do?
- Burning Vengeance: Antipaladins and Way of the Wicked-players rejoice – have your touch of corruption let foes catch fire. Using the evil option sears both like fire and acid and deals more damage –OUCH!
- Hellfire Channel: You may opt to deal half fire/half cold damage with your channel and when using the evil option, sicken foes. NICE!
- Hellfire Spell (Metamagic): +1 level. Can only be applied to spells that deal elemental damage. Change half of the damage to another damage type and when casting it as evil, add +4 to the spell-level. Again, ouch and nice!
- Hellish Assault: When attacking a favoured enemy, using challenge, smiting evil, using the destruction judgment, rage, sneak attack or hi with a weapon you have weapon specialization for, the magic properties of your weapon (extra d6 from e.g. bane, frost or similar qualities) are turned into half lightning, half acid and become d8, gain + number of dice to intimidate and when used as an evil act, also ge number of dice electricity and acid resistance. VERY cool mechanic innovation that makes the feat usable for ALL “mundane”, none-too-magical classes and at the same time provides an iconic, yet not unbalancing bonus. Good design-idea!
- Hellish Brute: Gain ¼ alchemist level resistance to acid, fire and cold while in feral brute mutagen form and increase claw and bit damage by one step. When using the evil option, you may instead gain ½ your level as resistance.
Editing and formatting are top-notch, I didn’t notice any glitches. Layout adheres to SGG’s no-frills 3-column landscape format and the pdf has no bookmarks, but needs none at this length.
Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you yet another example why SGG is the mayor player in the 3pp-world it is and a prime example that explains the success of the Bullet Points-line: A collection of thematically-linked feats that are all killer, no filler, provide great enhancements to an already awesome idea and access for all classes to play with the forces of hell. Add to that innovative crunch-design and rock-solid mechanics one can depend on and we have a winner – 5 stars + seal of approval, easily given and without any hesitation.
With a Bullet Point: 5 Hellfire Feats is available from:
If you have enjoyed this review, please consider donating a small amount of money to help support this website.
Thank you for your support!