By Thilo Graf
This BP from Super Genius Games is 4 pages long, 1 page front cover, 1 page editorial/SRD, leaving us with 2 pages of content, so let’s check them out!
This pdf is a supplemental one for one of my favourite 3pp-classes released in the last couple of months, LPJr Design’s Machinesmith, which, since a slightly bumpy inception, has been revised and now rocks hard – if you haven’t checked it good, give it a shot! That being said, let’s take a look at the 5 feats:
- Alchemical Admixture: Select one of a staggering array of alchemical bombs and add them to your prototypes, gadgets or greatworks. When you attack with them (or force a save or have them attack), you may as a free action release the alchemical admixture, dealing additional damage and/or effects. The save-DC is reliant partially on your craft (alchemy) skill. A complex feat that makes sense, is iconic and cool – that’s the type of content I love to see from SGG!
- Behold!:3+Cha-mod times per day, you may demoralize foes as a swift action when using an item you have created via the Knowledge (engineering)-skill, instead of the intimidate skill, cowering these primitive monkey WITH SCIENCE!
- Better than New: When repairing something via mending, you also temporarily improve its atk, damage, saves, skill checks or DR/hardness with a small bonus dependent on your level.
- Creation Focus: Choose a single item you have created, including magic items, prototypes, gearworks and gadgets. As long as you fiddle and make adjustments every 10 minutes, said item can increase its atk, damage, saves, skill checks or DR/hardness by 1. Pity this feat does not improve over the levels like “Better than New”.
- Emergency Activation: Activate an item you have created, including magic items, prototypes, gearworks and gadgets as a swift action, but only for non attacking actions and activations that would take a standard action or less. You may use this ability once for every 4 levels you have. GENIUS – after all, we all know about all these iconic emergency-escape tricks, edges in combat etc. Very cool!
Editing and formatting are top-notch, I didn’t notice any glitches. The pdf adheres to a 3-column standard and comes with no bookmarks, but needs none at this length. The machinesmith is a great class and this pdf offers some awesome actions for the class to use. While I’m not sold on “Better than new” and “Creation Focus”, the other three feats, especially alchemical admixture and Emergency Activation, are pure unadulterated genius. Taking the low price into account as well as the fact that the Quartermaster’s Handbook for NeoExodus, which was supposed to add new machinesmith options, has been delayed some time, I can wholeheartedly recommend this pdf for fans of the machinesmith and also to designers who want to take a look how handling access to another classes class ability can be handled without making this versatility too strong or unbalanced. my final verdict will thus be 5 stars.
With a Bullet Point: 5 Machinesmith Feats is available from:
If you have enjoyed this review, please consider donating a small amount of money to help support this website.
Thank you for your support!